Behind every successful woman is a substantial amount of coffee. ~Stephanie Piro

Monday, May 30, 2011

Lacquer vs. Varnish


When i first started making this jewelry out of coffee beans I was using polyurethane varnish, to preserve the beans, make them nice and shiny, and make them durable for wear. In my last few pieces I have started to use a clear gloss lacquer. It is my hope that this will prove longer lasting and more durable for my finished products. So far so good! I started with an aerosol lacquer and this has been very effective in coating the beans and also helping them not to stick to the drying area. Of course they would stick to a wood or plastic base so that's why for my drying are I've been using aluminum foil lately, and it's worked out just fine:) It also seems that I haven't broken nearly as many beans in making my jewelry pieces now that I am using lacquer instead of varnish. I hope this continues to be true.
I've made two necklaces lately, one with the woven technique and the other with using copper chain. In the woven piece I used different types of Jasper as my accent stones. On the copper chain piece I used red coral and Nasa shells as my accents. It's definitely unique jewelry, but I especially enjoy how very diverse coffee beans can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment